Wednesday, August 26, 2009

viewing life's complexity... with questions


Each year, I have a theme for my classroom.

My first year's theme was "TRUTH surpasses culture" and we discussed how the the big "T" Truth surpasses culture, just as the little "t" truths in mathematics surpass culture. Last year's theme was to "discover INFINITY" and we learned about God's vastness and other character qualities in the Old Testament and in mathematical thinking. So, as I was brainstorming a new theme to tie all of my subjects together, I thought about the complexity of God and how I think I've learned a simple truth about God and then I realize that the truth has a whole new dimension. God is quite complex but he's given us simple facets of Him to study and discover that he is something incredible and worthy of our trust. Trusting in a God who we do not fully understand is part of the complexity in life.

I'm looking forward to many conversations about concepts we do not comprehend! Already, students have so many questions; If we need materials to create, what does God use to create with... himself? Does that mean that God is made of the same elements we are? If there was only darkness in the beginning, is God darkness? How come there is water in the beginning... where did water come from?

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment