Monday, March 16, 2009

second year at vienna christian school


I love teaching at Vienna Christian School. VCS is a unique place where I can teach students from across the globe about my heavenly Father and his incredible plan to redeem the world. Vienna Christian School appeals to missionary, international business and UN embassy families living in and around Vienna. VCS offers American-based English education to students from over 30 nations with over 10 claimed religions, yet our teachers are free to proclaim the good news.

Three years ago, I never anticipated becoming an overseas missionary or teaching students for other cultures or sharing an apartment with a Swiss Austrian, but I can say with confidence that this is right where God wants me to be. God revealed some of the puzzle pieces of my life- committing to follow God wherever he might lead, growing in my love for international students, traveling to Europe and desiring to return. So after graduating from Moody Bible Institute, I took a job teaching Middle School math at Vienna Christian School and now, I am enjoying life as I teach what I love: Math, Old Testament and Publications. I also coach Middle and High School volleyball and I’m involved with a youth church started by VCS teachers.
I am amazed at what God has taught me from being here. God has become so much bigger and stronger and more reliable then ever. He often reminds me to seek his perspective and view life in light of eternity. Though, living overseas and working in close proximity with others has its share of frustrations, the joy of being at the center of God’s will is worth all the struggle. The devil fights to break up our school, but God prevails.

One of the joys of my second year is teaching the 8th graders the Old Testament, some of which have never opened a Bible before. In this class, I have three students who are Muslim, one who is Russian Orthodox, many who are Catholic and some who claim no religion. It’s an exciting class. I’ve heard questions from, “What is sin?” to “Why would God kill the people in the land of Canaan when he just told them not to murder?” I love it. I love being in a place where I can walk some of them through these rich stories for the first time as well as point them to the redemption that is continually promised.

In math, we are discovering God’s infinite nature and our finite minds hurt when they are stretched to the max. In publications, we are working hard to use the creative side of our brains and keep a teachable spirit.

God has blessed me in so many ways. I live here on financial support from friends and family in the States and God has provided every cent so far! Living in Vienna on a school schedule has also had its perks. I’ve been able to travel inside and outside of Austria, including Germany, Hungry, Slovakia, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Italy, France, Malta and Israel.

I am so thankful for this place and I am looking forward to the years ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment